Welcome to the IUOE State Unit 12 website. IUOE Locals 3, 12, 39, and 501 collectively represent some 250 city, county, special districts, and schools bargaining units within the Public Sector in addition to State Unit 12.
The four Locals have some 150 full time Union business agents actively servicing the membership, a team of Union Legislative Representatives who monitor all legislation, actively oppose harmful legislation, actively carry bills that are beneficial to our members.
Breaking News: (Click here to get archived news)
- July 14, 2015: The union has also proposed additional economic proposals to help relieve classification that are severely under market. These efforts will help mitigate the recruitment and retention problem the state of California is experiencing. It's also been widely reported through the media that the Governor wants all state employees to contribute 50% of the normal cost to OPEB. This benefit is the state employees retirement health and welfare, which is severely underfunded. Reports indicate there is a $72 Billion deficit state wide. BU12's portion of that number is $3.5 billion. The State wants additional contribution from our members. We are currently in discussion across the table regarding this topic. We will keep updated as information comes available.
- July 13, 2015: Bargaining Update for the weeks of June 29th and July 6th 2015
The past two (2) bargaining sessions with the State were productive as the majority of the language changes have been addressed and tentatively agreed upon by all parties. The Unit 12 team has passed thirty (30) plus economic proposals and are waiting for the States response on all of them. The next sessions are scheduled for July 23rd and 24th 2015.
- June 22, 2015: Bargaining Update for the weeks of June 8th and 15th, 2015
The past two (2) bargaining sessions with the State were very slow going. The discussion’s at the table were centered around the language in the contract and if there needed to be any changes. The State’s bargaining team, however, passed their first economic proposal and the Unit 12 team will be reviewing and preparing a counter. The pace of bargaining should pick up in the next session scheduled for June 30th and July 1st 2015.
- May 21, 2015: The Unit 12 Team met with the State again on May 19 - 20, 2015. These meetings consisted of five (5) additional classification presentations with testimony from rank and file Unit 12 members. As of this week, there have been nine (9) classifications brought to the table and discussed with the State's bargaining team. Our team passed a handful of economic proposals and the State passed proposals to roll over existing contract language. The next bargaining sessions are scheduled for June 10 - 11, 2015. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.
- May 11, 2015: The Unit 12 Team met with the State three (3) times, April 21, May 7 and 8, 2015. The first meeting consisted of going over contract language and looking at any articles that do not need to be changed (roll over). The meetings held on May 7 and 8 resulted in the first round of discussions concerning classifications that need to be updated and fixed. We heard testimony from rank and file employees regarding the pay disparity and the State’s team was very impressed. The next bargaining sessions are scheduled for May 19-20, 2015.
- March 9, 2015: As most of you are aware, IUOE State Unit 12 bargaining with the state is scheduled to take place early April 2015 and will be on going until such time that the bargaining team reaches an agreement. At that point the agreement will be presented to our members to be voted on.
IUOE wants to hear from our members regarding bargaining so we have extended the Feb. 27 deadline and will continue to except bargaining unit 12 contract survey to the end of March. At this point we have received over 2,500 survey. I would like to thank the members that took the time to complete and send the survey. For those members that still want to complete a survey, use this link but send it to us no later than March 31.
- January 22, 2015: We will be going back to the table to negotiation a new contract with the State of California, as ours expires July 1, 2015.
We value your input and need to hear from you on what items are important to you and your family. Please complete this survey and fax or email it back to us at your first opportunity. (We need these back by February 27, 2015.)